February has a long association with being the month of celebrating love, and in particular on the 14th of February, Valentine's Day, after Saint Valentine. While it's important to incorporate romance, appreciations, fondness, attentiveness, interest, curiosity and physical intimacy on a daily basis, it's also nice to sometimes take time out to do something really special for your partner to show and celebrate your love. These are nice for Valentine's Day, but equally well apply to other special occasions.
So, here are six ideas to show your Sweetheart how special they are to you.
1. All the classics. The classics have stood the test of time for a reason - they work: Think hearts, flowers, cards, chocolates, gifts, candles, perfume, dinners, picnics, letters, poems, dancing, special events (theatre, shows, games, gigs), and romantic getaways. Here is the modern (environmentally friendly) twist: where you can, incorporate sustainable, reusable, recyclable, and reduce plastics/single use. For example, think about wrapping your gift in a nice piece of fabric (see Furoshiki). Instead of flowers maybe think of a potted plant. Also think about how you can you support local artisans and businesses.
2. A map of the place where you met or capture the alignment of the stars during a meaningful date as a couple in your life. There are a number of places who do this and frame it as a poster/art print, like Blim and Blum or Edison Lane or there are jewellery or other print options such as these found on Etsy.
3. A new twist on penning a poem: A personalised song written for your special love - Songlorious. Others have suggested the idea of serenading their partner either by a local artist or by someone famous through Cameo with a personalised message.
4. Make your own coupon book that speaks to your partner's love language(s)
5. In the mood for something a bit spicier? The Gottman Card Decks app (or App Store) has some "Salsa Cards" (Mild, Medium and Hot - which indicate their 'spiciness') which gives you some scenarios and play ideas. You might want to dress up in something sexy, turn on the music and light candles. Or you might want to shop together online for some sex toys if that is your thing ;-)
6. Cosy date night in that doesn't break the bank. Build a pillow fort. Have an indoor picnic, or a night under the stars. The Gottman's have come up with a fun card game using a standard card deck called Game of Hearts.
Disclaimer: This post is for informational and educational purposes only. It should not be taken as counselling/therapy advice or used as a substitute for such. You should always speak to your own counsellor.